Friday, July 1, 2011

The Golden Age of The Boob Tube is Over! (Guest Writer)

I remember the day when TV was actually meaningful. You could sit down, relax, and watch a good ol' show such as Golden Girls and I love Lucy. You could even grab a beer, sit back, and go at it on Wheel Of Fortune as you sit there and convince the person next to you that you would make millions if only you got the chance to be on that show. THOSE were the days when
television was actually enjoyable. .... Nowa' days, you turn the TV on only to find that half the population of people in the world like to hoard dead animals in their houses and that your favorite role model growing up as a child is now in rehab because he or she likes to eat crack for breakfast lunch and dinner, while washing it down with ten bottles or rum.



Seriously .... its freakin' depressing.
You want to know whats even more depressing? As if you didn't think it could get any worse, here comes Jersey Shore. The only time I have ever watched that show was on a day that I needed to feel better about myself. So I tuned in to the ridiculous life of the over tanned, spiked hair, herpes carrying young Jersey Shore crowd and I suddenly felt like a million bucks. ..... I mean come on people, if I want to learn how to look like a Guido on a daily basis, sleep with as many people as I want in one night, and possibly catch some crabs from a sweaty Italian dude, I will just spend a night in Providence.






Oh and lastly but certainly not least.... kids shows. It's one thing to allow ourselves to waste our lives watching ridiculous TV but why our children? I can't say that I am not guilty of it, because I am. But at least I am willing to admit it. Am I guilty of letting my child believe that he can get out of any sticky situation by simply picking a magical Mousekatool out of Mickeys tool box? Yes. Am I proud of it? No. And what about Diego? The show is adorable, and my kid loves it, but with all do respect, does it not teach our kids that its OK to play with wild animals and to swing from some ropes in the Safari without a parents consent? .... I mean, can anyone actually tell me what Diego's parents actually look like? .... I think not. I think we are dealing with a severe case of child neglect on this show. ....







Captain Planet. Now THAT was a LEGIT cartoon that kids should be watching. I watched it as a kid and look at me now. I got a green recycling bin right outside my house at all times to do MY part to help save the Earth, thanks to Captain Planet. Not to mention that the theme song was so darned catchy! I can hear it clear as day in my head .... Captain Planet, he's our hero, gonna take pollution down to zero! ....... Shoot. That is GOOD TV right there.


No comments:

Post a Comment